Sunday, April 25, 2010

Knights in Blue Pencil

I picked up a copy of Barry Windsor-Smith's Freebooters this Winter. Coincidentally, I was drawing lots of knights with David Gilmour hair. The book collects the Freebooters storyline originally published in his Storyteller series of the '90s (one of the few worthwhile things to come out of that decade). Windsor-Smith reveals some of the false starts to the series, including a scene where Axus (the hero of sorts) is found sleeping so soundly and swarming with flies, he's mistaken for a corpse. I found this so appealing I had to give it a try.

Note: this is an extremely tedious endeavor that I cannot recommend! It's hard to draw masses of flies that wind up looking like flies! On a side note, I have to say, any realistic depiction of the Middle Ages should include lots and lots of flies, gnats, fleas, maggots, locusts, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment