Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Hyborian Age


Barbarians- a love story. By the time I began drawing in the early-mid '70s, the Sword n' Sorcery craze had splashed into the mainstream. If I wasn't drawing Spider-man or Tarzan, it was Conan or Kull who held my attention. Frazetta posters covered my room and I wore out comics stealing from Barry Smith and John Buscema. I wonder what my parents thought about that.
I came home from school one day to find my dad had spent his day making me a helmet with horns on it. It had mock jewels and Frazetta-like designs- I loved it! We lived in the country, so I grabbed a machete, put on the helmet and roamed around the woods. I was 13 or 14 at the time. Imagine being a farmer in Mid-Missouri glancing up to see a pimply teenager striding through the woods with a viking helmet, and machete lookin' for trouble. Good Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment