Monday, May 24, 2010

Gato Vato

Topper in a pensive moment with a ball point pen. I'm making amends for treating him so cruelly below. Actually, since we recently got a dog, Topper looks a lot closer to the images below than above.

On another matter, my hero Joe Kubert has recently published a 200+ page graphic account called "Dong Xoai, Vietnam 1965". This was a nice surprise since I had no prior knowledge of it. It's the true story of a Special Forces team defending a doomed village early in the war. Joe's drawn it on toned paper in pencil with white highlights. It's gorgeous and I'm reading it in 5 page bursts to make it last as long as possible. Here's a link to an interview with the master on Comic Book Resources: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26087

Joe Kubert's in his mid- 80's and still out-producing guys a quarter his age. I'll never forget the advice he once gave me in the halls of the Kubert School- "Watch your fingers!" ( I was using the paper cutter at the time).

No comments:

Post a Comment