Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Missouri Breaks


I grew up in mid- Missouri. In my formative years, the uniform of the day was jeans, farm hats and down vests. Then I went away. I live in the affluent West County suburb of St. Louis now, a land of mini-vans, s.u.v's, Mini-Coopers, G.A.P.S, Borders, Starbucks, dog-daycare centers, you get the picture. I'm not proud of it, that's just where the natural decay of life led.
So it's usually a jolt when I visit anywhere else in the state and witness the new order of the day. A recent trip to Kansas City allowed for some "wonderful" sketch opportunities while visiting my Mom. I often wonder what it must be like for her who remembers when people wore suits and dresses, tattoos were usually only seen at carnivals and shaved heads usually meant head lice was an issue. A big man was 200 pounds. The above was captured watching the crowd leave the Wizard/Manchester United soccer/football game/match. Oy, the chafing!

No comments:

Post a Comment