Sunday, June 14, 2009

...but he's good at math.

A "conceptual design" for a failed graphic novel. Leon is obsessed with numbers- so much so that his body is riddled with number tattoos. I was actually trying to broaden my horizons a little, working with characters that have shaved heads and tattoos. I think eventually some form of implied enlightenment was to be the crux of the story, achieved through mathematics and shaved-headedness.

I draw using Black Prismacolor pencils for the most part. For years I drew with the Color-erase Blue pencils favored by most (as far as I know anyway) animators. I switched a few years ago to Black Prismacolor, primarily to get a rich dark line that didn't smear. I think this has something to do with my animation background. As a species,(animators) we're obsessed with bold, clear outlines and not so much by shadows and atmosphere. I sometimes have to remind myself that it's okay to smudge lines and have fun with textures. This is all just pissing in the wind, of course .... isn't it all done by computers now anyway? The idea got scrapped due to my ignorance of mathematics, tattoos and shaved headedness.

No comments:

Post a Comment