Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Bridge Too Far

My Sister gave me some Dover editions of Bridgman's Life Drawing sometime in the '70's and I've referred to them ever since. I heard Gil Kane speak at the '94 San Diego Comicon and he mentioned how Frazetta had copied all of Bridman's Life Drawing in one night. Occasionally I get the urge to do the same, then fizzle after 4 or 5 pages. Here I'm more concerned with goofing with my new mix of ink than anything else.
I've always loved Bridgmans drawings. Note the "sack of oatmeal" quality around the rib cage. He was one of the biggest influences on early 20th century illustrators, and it's clear when you look at the dramatic contraposto poses of cartoonists like Alex Raymond and Hal Foster. Heck, even newsters like Jim Lee have put in time sweeping up Bridgmans peanut shells. I have no idea what I meant by that.

No comments:

Post a Comment